Since our last article on Placement methods and options, Toornament has refined its available options and here’s a complete guide to the placement methods.
Placement is the way each phase of a tournament is linked to each, how the participants move from one to another.
Generic methods :
- “Random” : as the name states, participants are randomly placed into a phase, regardless of their seed.
- “Manual” : you choose to place your participants the way you prefer. Note that you can combine Random and Manual placement methods.
Specific method :
Those methods follow a specific set of logic and rules
- “Participant Number” : only available for a first phase, as the participants are placed following their initial seed number.
- “Previous stage” : only available from a previous phase. The only logic is that the results from the previous phase build the seeding for the following one. The played matches doesn’t weigh on the placement.
- “Bracket Optimized” : only available following “Groups”, or “Bracket Groups” phases. This method adds a new rule : qualified participants from a group are placed in the bracket so that they’ll meet again at the latest stage possible. This method aims for a better variety in matchups.
When you are on your tournaments’ list, you can access your Archived tournaments, but may wonder how to Archive said tournaments.
For all that matter, one may want to Delete one of their tournaments…
As unique as Esports are, organizing an Esport event shares a lot in common with other kind of events, from sports tournaments to conventions, to team buiding week ends.
As the E3 is on, here are 9 tips and words of wisdom which works great for all kinds of events and thus, yours !
As we announced it earlier, the Swiss System has just joined our array of supported competition formats.
As you may know, the Swiss System makes all participants face each other. Each victory grants the victor 2 points, whereas the loser gets 0 points. A tie results in a split 1-1 point between the competitors. Note that you can edit those values later. As the matches go, the Swiss system will pair people with similar result, making it harder and harder to win, for example.
The Swiss System thus allow a great amount of fair matches for everyone, from the top dogs to the underdogs. The Swiss System can be picked a a whole tournament format, or be paired with single or double elimination systems. Reminder : be careful about your time management, as this Structure grows exponentially with the number of participants.
Your dashboard homepage has changed and from now on, you will be greeted by our welcome board, which contains plenty of goodies :
– Our latest tweets about the Esport economics and latest trends
– Our latest blog posts
– An invitation to become a trusted user
– Your tournaments
– Your money status
– General informations and links about Toornament.
We find this landing page more useful, convenient… and welcoming. Hope you’ll enjoy !
You look at your dashboard today and yes, something has changed. This orange box wasn’t there before. Half-Life 3 confirmed ? Nearly : We’ve changed the way you can handle your tournament status.
By default, your tournament is now marked as a “draft”. This means it is 100% operational and working, but cannot be found through search engines on Toornament site and mobile app. You can still share its unique URL to people, but that’s it.
Publishing your tournament will make it visible, searchable and sharable by everyone.
The draft status is very handy when you’re building your tournament and just need to manually share it with a few trusty people (admins, sponsors, players).
The Published status make your tournament 100% visible and sharable. It’s of course great for your audience, media partners and competitors.
We hope this UX update will make the process smoother for you. Feek free to send us feedback !
Let’s start the week with a new feature on Toornament: Schedules!
This new tool allows you to create schedules with various purposes. Schedules can be set as public or private.
Here are some examples of public schedules:
- Opening and closing hours
- Extra activities (autograph signings, special events)
- Main stage schedule
And some examples of private schedules:
- Admins time of arrival on site
- Match process (when to go get the players, set-up the machines etc.)
- Admins meeting
create a schedule, just go to the “Schedule” in your dashboard. From
there, you can create and edit pretty much everything you need. The
public schedules will be visible in the tournament widget.
You can now start to test and use them, feel free to send us your feedbacks!
One of the main Toornament specifities is that it can adapt its features to each Esport discipline it supports.
Because each game works its way, esport wise. Street Fighter IV means 1v1, counter picks and different characters. Starcraft means maps and races, Counter-Strike and LoL a team based.
We help tournament organizers by adapting our fields and settings to their games. Toornament now supports more than 70 Esport disciplines, but we know their more on the way.
Of course, our platform perfeclty works with every game (or any sport), it just comes in “vanilla” flavor. When your start a tournament on a game non supported by Toornament, just have to pick the “generic discipline“ setting.
The other way is to simply contact us : we’d be happy to help and add your game to our supported discipline pool !
This is what recently happened with Lightbulb Crew’s Games of Glory. We’re going even further with some games APIs, such as DotA and soon, League Of Legends…
To contact us, just click on the blue “?” button on the lower right corner of your dashboard, or just tweet to us on twitter, toornament !
Our platform is getting quite famous for its embeddable widget, so we wanted to give your even more sharing option. This one is like a standalone widget !
“Custom Page” comes in very handy when you don’t have a dedicated website, or your own website is down for a reason. Setting up a Custom Page is matter of seconds and will generate a webpage with an unique, persistant URL and some customization options.
In your dashboard, go to your the “Share” menu and select “Custom Page”. From here, you can choose :
– Which information your widget will display by default.
“Navigator” is like a homepage
“Information” will display the tournament basic infos
“Schedule” for the next matches to be played
“Participants” to get an exhaustive list of the competitors
“Bracket” to get right into the action
– The background color can be picked through a color picker or html color codes.
– A background image.
Our tip : as our widget is center aligned, you can design a fitting picture, to display a frame aournd and your sponsors below for example.
There, you have it : an independant, standalone webpage for your tournament !
Here’s a question we get on a regular basis : can my team and I run Toornament from mobile devices ?
Of course you can. And here are some tips to make the most of Toornament on the go :
As for now, our dedicated mobile app is a consumer product, meaning it’s designed to bring up scores, results, streams links and schedules for all of our users. It’s not meant (yet) to admin a tournament.
We picked this path simply because our website is 100% responsive and totally mobile compliant. Running it from any mobile device will be a breeze. We used for example a single iPhone to enter on site all the scores and infos of the Redbull Kumite !
Here are a few tips before you jump in :
– Make sure your wifi doesn’t block any connection port
– Double check every action you make on the site
– Set up your device so that it doesn’t go into sleep mode too fast, mobile browsers are sometimes a bit harsh on cookies and can log you out.
– Going all mobile on your team can be a great time saver, as long as you’re organised enough so that everyone take care of a very precise matter (match score, editing participants etc.)
– Don’t fear for your battery life and data usage, Toornament behave as as simple web service, so no hidden tasks, geotagging pings or constant notifications !
Whether you run online leagues or offline tournaments, using mobile devices offers great flexibility admin-wise. Feel free to try Toornament on your regular smartphones and tablets !